TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER I: The Production Committee
– Committee Volunteer Job Descriptions: Includes Sign Up Spreadsheet
– Checklists: Includes Nine Printable Handouts
– Production Committee Meetings FAQ
CHAPTER II: Auditions and Casting
– What to Expect: Auditions and Casting
– The Audition Committee FAQ: Includes Audition Sheets and Additional Audition Forms (Printable Handouts)
CHAPTER III: Beginner’s Acting Lessons
– Basic Drama Terms
– Acting Games
– Weekly Lessons: (Week 1) Audition Training; (Week 2) Auditions; (Week 3) Stage Directions; (Week 4) Physicality; (Week 5) Vocalization; (Week 6) Emotions and Confidence; (Week 7) Characterization; (Week 8) Imagination; (Week 9) Relationships; (Week 10) Motivation
CHAPTER IV: Before Rehearsals Start
– Reading the Script
– Creating a Rehearsal Schedule: Example Spreadsheet
– Production Contracts: What Are They? And Why I Use Them: Production Contract (Printable Handout)
CHAPTER V: Rehearsals
– The First Rehearsal: The Read-Through
– The Art of Directing
– Blocking the Show: Staging Basics: Stage Directions Reminder Page
– Dress Rehearsals
– Technical Rehearsals
– The Power of Rest: Taking a Break before opening night
CHAPTER VI.: Technical Theatre
– Costumes: Costume Handout Example
– Setting the Stage: Stage Sets for Shakespeare Productions
– Properties: Finding, Making, Borrowing
– Lights, Sound, Action!
CHAPTER VII.: Performances
– What to expect
– Sample Schedule: What to do WHEN during showtime
CHAPTER VIII.: After the Show
– Closing the Show
– The End: Gifts, Thank-You notes, Cast Party, Future Productions
*** There are several handouts included that are free to be copied and distributed to your cast members and production crew for their use during the show. (These pages are clearly marked.)
There is nothing like this Director’s Guide for being able to produce a play without previous experience!
Andrea Morgan –
I Love this director’s guide! It gives such an excellent timeline to follow when producing a play. So thorough and concise! Use this one every time!!!
Clearly the author is passionate about Shakespeare and understand young people! Her experience shines through as she is very practical and inspiring.
The author is passionate about Shakespeare and understands youth. Her experience makes this guide practical and inspiring.